Home > ASQ Washington, DC &... > Library > Resources Printable Version Tell a friend
ResourcesASQ and ASQ Section 509 does not endorse the use of any of these resources. These resources are listed for information purposes only.
Click a Resource to open the Resource in a new window. Click again to refresh that window with the new Resource. Only one new window will be opened at any given time.
- | Baldrige National Quality Award | General Quality | ISO 9000 | Lean Enterprise | Lean Six Sigma | Standards |
Baldrige National Quality Award
The Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award represents the culmination of decades of effort to improve organizational performance and US competitiveness. The Baldrige criteria comprise a national management system standard for performance excellence. Congress passed legislation in 2005 to expand the Baldrige Award categories to Not-for-Profit organizations. They now join Manufacturing, Service, Small Business, Education, and Healthcare categories. This now makes every organization in the country eligible to compete for the Baldrige Award as a role-model organization.
Baldrige National Quality Program Website
Baldrige National Quality Program promotes and recognizes organizational performance excellence.
- Maryland Performance Excellence Awards The purpose of this awards program is two-fold. First, the awards identify, recognize, and spotlight role model organizations whose performance is worthy of emulation. Second, and perhaps more importantly, the award application process encourages organizations to learn and improve. Through conducting self-assessment, an essential step in preparing the award application, and by utilizing the written feedback report, which all applicants receive, the awards process helps applicants improve the way they manage their organization.
- National Institute for Standards and Technology Website An agency of the U.S. Department of Commerce's Technology Administration, NIST's primary mission is to promote U.S. economic growth by working with industry to develop and apply technology, measurements, and standards. NIST administers the Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award program.
This category is used when none of the other topics are sufficient.
Process Excellence Network (PEX)
Process Excellence Network (PEX). This site contains free topics on Six Sigma and Quality, Lean, and Process Improvement to name a few. There is access to articles, columns, videos, and podcasts. Videos and podcast access may need you to register free as a member. There is a wealth of information in the Resources area from White papers to blogs to interviews. It's easier to move around once you are a member and can update your newly created profile accordingly. Ask questions among professional peers, answer questions for the community, and surf topics already covered regarding your current issues.
- Quality Digest Magazine Website Quality Digest � a magazine dedicated to all aspects of quality management, includes some free searches for non-subscribers.
The W. Edwards Deming Institute�
The W. Edwards Deming Institute� is a nonprofit organization that was founded in 1993 by noted consultant Dr. W. Edwards Deming.
The aim of the Institute is to foster understanding of The Deming System of Profound Knowledge� to advance commerce, prosperity and peace.
Participation in The W. Edwards Deming Institute� means that we share Dr. Deming's vision of a better world. We participate because we strive, with joy, to carry on the work that he began. We seek to conduct ourselves in a manner consistent with his high moral and ethical standards, professional and personal integrity, and commitment to lifelong learning. We do this solely from our dedication to the philosophy and values of Dr. Deming and our belief that together, with humility, we can and will make a difference in the quality of life for everyone.
Theseus Professional Services
Theseus Professional Services, a veteran-owned small business, was formed in January 1999 and has been a leading provider of staff for organizations needing quality assurance and quality control, process improvement, and performance excellence services since its inception. Our mission is to help organizations achieve results through standards and regulatory compliance, process improvement and performance excellence. Our vision is to be a recognized provider of results that help make our customers successful.
- U.S. Senate Productivity and Quality Award for Virginia (SPQA) The U.S. Senate Productivity and Quality Award for Virginia (SPQA) is the Commonwealth�s premier awards program for performance excellence. For over 20 years, the SPQA performance excellence criteria have been used by hundreds of Virginia organizations to stay abreast of competition and to improve performance. Today�s business and government environment make it imperative that organizations focus on current challenges: openness and transparency in governance and ethics, the need to create value for customers, the challenge of rapid innovation, and capitalizing on knowledge assets. No matter the size or complexity of your organization, the SPQA performance excellence criteria provide a valuable framework that can help you plan in an uncertain environment.
ISO 9000 is...
- A series of international standards specifying minimum quality management system requirements that are process and not product-oriented.
- Used to address customer satisfaction, by meeting customer and applicable regulatory requirements.
- A foundation for improving quality by reducing the variation of the processes that produce our products and services.
- Applicable to any industry; including hardware, software, processed materials and services.
- International Organization for Standardization Website This is the site of the International Organization for Standardization. Take a look at the tutorial on the ISO 9001 Standard.
ISO 9001 Auditing Practices Group
This website has been established as an on-line source of papers and presentations on auditing QMSs. The ideas, examples and explanations given reflect the process-based approach that is essential for auditing the requirements of ISO 9001:2000 Quality management systems � Requirements. The website is primarily aimed at QMS auditors, consultants and quality practitioners.
- ISO Technical Committee 176 This website is the home of the International Organization for Standardization's (ISO) Technical Committee 176 on Quality Management and Quality Assurance -- the committee responsible for developing the ISO 9000 series of standards and guidance documents.
Short introduction to this topic
Lean Enterprise Institute
The Lean Enterprise Institute (LEI) is a nonprofit education and research organization founded in 1997 to promote and advance the principles of lean thinking in every aspect of business and across a wide range of industries. A major LEI objective is to create a complete toolkit for Lean Thinkers to use in transforming businesses. The lean toolkit is intended to be a dynamic and continually evolving means of sharing knowledge among Lean Thinkers.
Lean Six Sigma
Six Sigma is both a quality improvement philosophy and a robust methodology to solve chronic quality problems. It includes a comprehensive and powerful set of analytical tools that are applied within a standard problem solving methodology known as DMAIC (Define, Measure, Analyze, Improve, Control). Since the early '90s, Six Sigma has been sweeping major industries and sectors throughout the US as a strategic initiative with impressive Returns on Investment (ROI).
Please check our Lean Lean Six Sigma for more information.
- DMAIC Tools Six Sigma Tools Website
- SixSigmaZone.com Website Timely, Topical, Fresh, Credible, Clear and Concisely Worded Information for the Six Sigma and Process Improvement Community
Worldwide Conventions and Business Forums (WCBF)
WCBF is an independent organization providing up-to-date Six Sigma Solutions for senior professionals working in the quality sector. We facilitate interactive environments for best practice from key players in their field. WCBF enables international corporations thriving for Six Sigma excellence to benefit from this distinctive pooling of expertise.
The application of quality principles is built on standards. This category contains a variety of resources and content associated with the development and application of standards.
- American Society for Mechanical Engineers - Baltimore Section
ASTM International is one of the largest voluntary standards development organizations in the world-a trusted source for technical standards for materials, products, systems, and services. Known for their high technical quality and market relevancy, ASTM International standards have an important role in the information infrastructure that guides design, manufacturing and trade in the global economy.
The American Association for Laboratory Accreditation
The American Association for Laboratory Accreditation (A2LA) is a nonprofit, non-governmental, public service, membership society. The mission of A2LA is to provide comprehensive services in laboratory accreditation and laboratory-related training. Services are available to any type of organization, be it private or government. Laboratory accreditation is based on internationally accepted criteria for competence (ISO/IEC 17025:2000). A2LA also offers programs for accreditation of inspection bodies, proficiency testing providers and reference material producers.